Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Be Not Afraid, Only Believe (Mark 5:36)

One of my favorite scriptures is Doctrine and Covenants 50:41-42. It says, "Fear not, little children, for you are mine, and I have overcome the world, and you are of them that my Father hath given me; and none of them that my Father hath given me shall be lost."

Fear is a hard thing to overcome. It's a weakness that everyone has at some time or another, and it makes us avoid having to do something at all costs. When we are supposed to do something, fear has the power to stop us from doing that. But it shouldn't.

We have to believe that Heavenly Father will provide the way for us to accomplish the thing which He commanded us. "And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them." 1 Nephi 3:7

We cannot let fear stop us from doing what is right. It is hard to stand up to someone who is asking you to do something that you don't believe. But you have to stand up. Faith is what gives us the courage and power to stand up for what's right, or to do what we've always been too scared to do. "Faith and fear cannot coexist" (Elder Kevin W. Pearson). Faith pushes fears away, and gives us the power to succeed and to overcome the world as Christ did. In D&C 50:41-42, Christ promises that none of them that His Father has given Him will be lost. If we follow Christ, we can in no way, shape, or form be lost. If we don't let our fears stop us from obeying, then we won't be lost in this mortal life.

Another scripture that talks about fear is Moroni 8:16: "Perfect love casteth out all fear."

I know that faith is what pushes our fears away. It is what makes us courageous and powerful. The Spirit tells us what we need to do, and having faith instead of fear is what allows us to do the things that we are most afraid of.




1 comment:

  1. You are awesome Kayla! This blog is great :) I love you!

    ReplyDelete