Sunday, November 24, 2013

The Spirit of Thanksgiving


"In all things give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." 1 Thessalonians 5:18.
As Thanksgiving approaches, I just want to express my gratitude for everything that I have and love.
  • My Family--Without them, I would have nothing, and I'd be nothing. I'm grateful that I have parents who teach me the gospel by word and by deed. I'm grateful for my siblings, and that I'm so close to them. I'm also grateful for my grandparents, and all they do for me.
  • Friends--I'm a bit of an introvert. I don't always like to spend time with my friends. But I'm glad that when I want to, they're there for me. I can talk to them about anything, and they'll listen.
  • Education--I'm so grateful that I have the ability and the means to learn. School is taken for granted, and teachers are under-appreciated.
  • Myself--I'm just grateful that I am who I am. I'm glad that I was born into this family, with these friends, in this home. I wouldn't want to be anyone but me.
  • Chocolate and Ice Cream--For the bad days.
  • The Atonement--Through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, I know that I am not alone. I will never be left to suffer by myself. I can turn to the Savior for the big things and the little things. If I ask for forgiveness, it will be given to me.
  • America--Sometimes, I look at pictures of third world countries from National Geographic or other sources. I look at their worn out and weathered faces, and my heart goes out to them. I'm grateful that I have the freedom that I do, and that I have everything that I need to live a successful, healthy life that I choose to live.
  • The Gospel--I can't even imagine a world where the Gospel of Jesus Christ isn't a part of my life. I don't want to know the person I'd be if that were the case. I'm thankful that I was born into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I love this gospel, and as Sister Dibb said, "I know it, I live it, I love it!" I'm so glad that I have opportunities to be a light and to share my happiness with others.
  • The Scriptures--Where would I be without The Book of Mormon? There are countless times when I've opened up the scriptures after praying, and my prayer has been answered. There are many times when I've had a bad day, or just need to feel the Spirit, and Heavenly Father leads me to the right verse. He knows which one will help me at the time, which I'm so thankful for.
  • Technology--In our day, technology is taken for granted by the younger generations. There are so many things that are available to us, and we have access right at home. Sometimes right in your pocket. It's amazing.
  • Seminary--Having the opportunity to attend seminary every other day during school has really helped me. I've learned so much, and it's strengthened my testimony so much. I'm grateful for the wonderful teachers I've had, and the people I've met through seminary.
  • The Temple--I cannot express how grateful I am that I have so many temples close to home. I can always just drive a few miles and go to the temple. I can take a break from the world, and feel the Holy Ghost.

Alma 26: 35, 37 " Now have we not reason to rejoice? Yea, I say unto you, there never were men that had so great reason to rejoice as we, since the world began; yea, and my joy is carried away, even unto boasting in my God; for he has all power, all wisdom, and all understanding; he comprehendeth all things, and he is a merciful Being, even unto salvation, to those who will repent and believe on his name.

 37 Now my brethren, we see that God is amindful of every bpeople, whatsoever land they may be in; yea, he numbereth his people, and his bowels of mercy are over all the earth. Now this is my joy, and my great thanksgiving; yea, and I will give thanks unto my God forever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment